The history of “Saupark”
For many centuries the wooden hills of “Großer Deister”, “Kleiner Deister”, and “Osterwald” have been an important hunting area at the gates of the residential town Hannover – hunts held at court can be traced back about 250 years.
The court’s interest in hunting favored a numerous stock of game in these areas. That situation was extremely contrary to the interests of the farmers and landowners who had to endure great damage done to their fields.
The discontent at that situation mounted in an legal procedure between the “Wedemeyer” family and the court and lasted for nearly half a century (1789 - 1815).
The family of the plaintiff – the Wedemeyers-gained this – at that time extremely unusual case; as a result the court had to pay immense sums of money to compensate for the damage done by the game.
To make an end to this conflict of interests it was decided to build a park surrounded by a wall near “Springe” at “Kleiner Deister”. It was intended to preserve game enough to satisfy hunting interests but to avoid damage on the surrounding farm land.
The wall was built from 1836 - 1839, it’s length is 16,3 km.
It was the time of the government of King Ernst August. With his enthronement in 1837 the personal union between the Hannoverian and the English throne came to an end. The hunting castle was built from 1839 - 1841 under the control of the locally competent architect of the court “Comperal” and the superintendence of the well-known head architect of the court “Laves”.
At first the castle was built in an one-storied way. But from 1875 - 1880, when there was an intensive building activity, it was finished in the way you can see it now.
Apart from the expansion in height an extension of the so – called “Kaisersaal” (emperor hall) was made. A guest house was built – it’s nowadays the bureau for the forestry commission.
As mentioned before after the building of the wall at first the kings of Hannover were the hunting masters in “Saupark”. From 1866 - 1871 this function was held by the King of Prussia. At that time there was the beginning of the still existing fusion of forest and hunting administration. Up to then the forest administration was in the hands of the head forestry commission of Coppenbrügge. After the foundation of “Deutsche Reich” (the German Empire) in the year 1871 the German emperor, the “Kaiser”, became hunting master in his capacity as King of Prussia.
Hunts of the court took place every two years, the last one on November 22nd, 1912. The following one couldn’t be heldt because meanwhile World War I had begun. The most important guest of that last hunt of the court was the Austrian Duke Franz Ferdinand whose murder in Sarajewo is known as the evocation of the beginning of World War I.
At the end of World War I the solution existed to dissolve the park, but that plan wasn’t prosecuted.
Nevertheless it is reported that at that time the game inside the park was in very bad condition and wild boars died of shortage of food.
Between 1933 and the end of World War II Master of the Hunt Hermann Göring was the hunting master in the park. But Hermann Göring’s own hunting interests concentrated more on the state’s hunting areas “Schorfheide” and “Rominter Heide” and for that reason he was a comparably rare visitor in Springe.
After the end of World War II the different Prime Ministers of Lower Saxony acted a hunting masters in “Saupark” have always hat a feeling for consciously using this – especially for guests interested in hunting – beautiful area and wonderful atmosphere for cultivation of cultural and political relationship.
You can say that - belonging to what political party soever - the hunting masters of "Saupark" have always had a feeling for consciously using this - especially for guests interested in hunting - beautiful area and wonderful atmosphere for cultivation of cultural and political relationships.
Nowadays the importance of the “Saupark” isn’t only related to the great hunting events, but it’s an important recreation and resting area at the gates of the large city Hannover (400.000 visitors a year).
The visitors specially appreciate the fact that here in a natural and fascinating landscape they can watch the game during the day, what’s nowadays very problematic in open landscape.
Moreover “Saupark” is a natural reserve in full extension, and last not least one of the most productive forestry estates in Lower saxony.
An important activity of the forestry service here is on the field of public relations.
A great number of visitor groups from native and foreign countries come to the “Saupark” itself, the hunting show in the castle and to the “Wisentgehege” (European bison reserve) where 200.000 visitors are registrated a year.
History of Hallermunt Castle
Hallermunt Castle is situated on a rock-slip below the ridge of hills of “Kleiner Deister”. Under Military aspects of former times it is well protected by the steep slope and some ring walls. In the year 1189 the castle is mentioned in documents for the first time. It was the seat of the Earls of Hallermunt who were in control of public rights (that means jurisdiction) as well as territorial rights in the area Springe-Eldagsen.
In the year 1250 the Earls of Hallermunt granted the town bylaws to “Springe” (then Hallerspring”).
After the fall of the empire of “Heinrich des Löwen” (Henry the Lion) the Guelph dukes (Welfenherzöge) pressed upon the smaller earldoms in order to extend their command. Thus also the earldom Hallermunt had to give away more and more of their landed property to the Guelph dukes but to the Bishop of Hildesheim as well by numerous distraints and transfers (conveyances).
Since the year 1282 – that means half a century after being mentioned for the first time – the castle was already in the possession of the dukes of Braunschweig and Lüneburg. No longer the Earl of Hallermunt but Guelph vassals were tenants of the castle.
In the year 1411 the last properties of the Earl of Hallermunt were sold to the duke Bernhard of Braunschweig.
At last the Earl of Spiegelberg from neighboring Coppenbrügge were in control of the castle.
These caused the anger of the Guelph dukes by being supposedly guilty of highway robbery and several cases of violent robbery. In consequence the castle was besieged in the so-called “Spiegelberger Fehde” (feud of Spiegelberg) and destroyed in the year 1435.
Beside the ring walls there’s nothing to be seen of the castle today.
täglich außer montags:
10.00 bis 16.00 Uhr
zusätzlich von April bis Oktober an Wochenenden:
10.00 bis 17.00 Uhr
!! Aktuell !!
Am Dienstag, den 1. Mai 2014 wird das Museum wegen eines Konzertes des Kulturkreises
bereits um 14.00 Uhr
für den allgemeinen Besucherverkehr geschlossen.
- HannoverCard und Ehrenamtskarte: Inhaber und eine Begleitperson (pro Person): 1,50 €
- Kinder ab 3 Jahren, Schüler / Schulklassen (pro Person): 1,50 €
- Schwerbehinderte, Studenten, Azubis, etc. (mit Ausweis): 2,00 €
- Erwachsene: 3,00 €
- Erwachsene Gruppen ab 20 Personen (pro Person): 2,50 €
- Jahreskarte Erwachsene (1 Zeitjahr): 20,00 €
- Führung (bis ca. 25 Personen): 30,00 €
Führungen von Schulen, Kindergärten oder ähnliches sind kostenfrei, Eintritt wird allerdings erhoben.
Wenn Sie eine Führung in Anspruch nehmen möchten, bitten wir um rechtzeitige vorherige Anmeldung unter 05041/9468-0!